- Grid reference: TQ57347555
- 51°27'25"N; 0°15'53"E
- Civil Parish: Stone, Kent
Clinker manufacture operational: 1879-1914, 1919-1922
Approximate total clinker production: 420,000 tonnes
- Upper Chalk (Seaford Chalk Formation: 85-88 Ma)
: quarry at 556900,174600, worked by the Stone Court Chalk Land and Pier Co.
- Alluvial Clay from Stone Marshes.
- 1879-1890 Williams Fry and Co. Ltd
- 1890-1903 Albion Portland Cement Co. Ltd
- 1903-1911 Artillery and Albion Cement Co.
- 1911-1922 BPCM (Blue Circle)
One of three plants installed at the Stone Court ballast pier, the initial installation consisted of 6 chamber kilns, making 145 t/week at an estimated fuel consumption of 13.3 MJ/kg. In 1889 a pair of Dietzsch kilns were installed, presumably to burn excess dry mix, bringing another 100 t/week at 4.8 MJ/kg. A further 13 chamber kilns were added 1902-1909, during which time the Dietzsch kilns were abandoned, bringing capacity to 460 t/week. Its activities were amalgamated with those of Artillery in 1903. There was no rail link, and all product was shipped from Stone Court pier. The site was entirely cleared: an extended Stone Court pier now serves a large container terminal covering the Albion, Greenhithe and Shield sites.
No rotary kilns were installed.
Sources: Eve, p 12: Francis, p 161: Jackson, p 269
© Dylan Moore 2011: commenced 07/01/2011: last edit 22/02/2017.
Return to plant list