- Grid reference: TQ56707518
- 51°27'14"N; 0°15'19"E
- Civil Parish: Stone, Kent
Clinker manufacture operational: 1890-1896, 1900-1914, 1919-1922
Approximate total clinker production: 300,000 tonnes
- Upper Chalk: quarry at 556400,174700.
- Upper Chalk (Seaford Chalk Formation: 85-88 Ma)
: quarry at 556900,174600, worked by the Stone Court Chalk Land and Pier Co.
- Alluvial Clay from Stone Marshes
- 1890-1903 Rosher & East
- 1903-1911 Artillery and Albion Cement Co.
- 1911-1922 BPCM (Blue Circle)
There were 14 chamber kilns in 1897-1900. These were probably installed in two sets: 7 (170 t/week) in 1890, and 7 (170 t/week) in 1892. It shut down between 1896 and 1900. A further 7 chamber kilns (170 t/week) were installed around 1904, bringing capacity to 510 t/week. The chamber kilns averaged a fuel consumption of 13.6 MJ/kg. Its activities were combined with those of Albion in 1903. There was no rail link, and all product was shipped from Stone Court pier. The area was completely cleared: Meridian House, Crossways occupies the site of the plant.
No rotary kilns were installed.
Sources: Eve, p 13: Francis, p 161: Jackson, p 269
© Dylan Moore 2011: commenced 07/01/2017: last edit 22/02/2017.
Return to plant list