Cement Kilns

Queenborough

Location:

  • Grid reference: TQ91257204
  • x=591250
  • y=172040
  • 51°24'54"N; 0°45'1"E
  • Civil Parish: Queenborough, Kent

Clinker manufacture operational: 1882-1914

Approximate total clinker production: 460,000 tonnes

Raw materials:

Ownership:

  • 1882-1897 Josiah Hall and Co.
  • 1897-1911 Queenborough Cement Co. Ltd
  • 1911-1914 BPCM (Blue Circle)

This was an early Roman Cement producing site, well placed for landing dredged septaria from both sides of the Thames estuary. Portland cement manufacture began much later. The original Portland plant probably had a few bottle kilns, but these were replaced by four Johnson kilns (100 t/week) in 1890. To this was added a block of three chamber kilns (80 t/week) before 1896. By 1907, the number of chamber kilns had risen to 18 (520 t/week) and a Schneider kiln (80 t/week) had been added, bringing total capacity to Davis’ 1907 total of 600 t/week . The plant used both rail and water transport throughout its life. The plant was shut down in 1914, and demolished immediately, the site now being occupied by light industrial buildings.

No rotary kilns were installed.


Sources: Eve, p 30: Francis, p 195: Jackson, p 292: Preston, pp 69, 83, 171-174


© Dylan Moore 2011: latest edit 26/11/2014.

Return to plant list


Old Maps

Approximate capacity: tonnes per year
Queenborough Capacity