Clinker manufacture operational: 1938-1977
Approximate total clinker production: 13.8 million tonnes (30th)
The company was begun as a joint venture between the Eire government and Tunnel/FLS. Tunnel’s participation was conditional upon the government’s imposition of sufficient import duties on cement to prevent any effective competition. This and the Limerick plant were nominally started up on the same day, allegedly by a start button, connected by telegraph! The plant was replaced by the nearby Platin plant, cement manufacture being ended when the large Platin A2 kiln was commissioned. The plant had excellent wharf facilities allowing reasonably large vessels to unload cheap coal and to deliver cement to the coastal cities. In addition, the plant had from the outset a purpose-built 2.3 km spur which allowed easy rail communication with Dublin (55 km). The plant remained in operation (under new ownership) for sea-water magnesia production, with the result that it was still more or less intact in 2009.
Crushed limestone and shale were initially inter-ground in a FLS 930 kW ball mill. Subsequent similar mills were added as kilns were added.
Three rotary kilns were installed:
Dimensions (from cooler ports): metric 129.00 × 3.600B / 3.300C / 3.600D
Kiln A2Operated: 1/1941-1976
Kiln profile (from cooler ports): -3300×3600, 43000×3600, 45000×3300, 90250×3300, 92250×3600, 127700×3600, 127700×3150, 129000×3150: Tyres at 4000, 26500, 49500, 72000, 96000, 120250.
Kiln A3Operated: 1954-24/12/1977
Dimensions (from cooler ports): metric 136.00 × 3.600 / 3.300 / 3.600
Sources: Pugh, p 112: “New Cement Works in Eire”, Cement and Lime Manufacture,Vol 14, p 79 (1941): Pat Gray, Forty Years by the Boyne, Drogheda Independent Co., Ltd, 1979: Irish Cement 1938-1988, CRH plc, 1988
© Dylan Moore 2011: commenced 22/01/2011: last edit 31/12/2016.
Approximate capacity: tonnes per year