Early, obscure and questionable cement plants in Britain and Ireland

This website, as explained in the introduction, is limited in scope to plants that have made Portland cement clinker, and that have done so since 1st January 1895. This limitation was imposed in order to ensure that the account was quantitative, and to prevent the project from expanding exponentially and unmanageably. Plants within the defined scope are listed here.

By popular demand, and with great reluctance on my part, I have added the following list of cement plants which do not meet these criteria, or for which the evidence is too slim for inclusion in the main list. This list should include all places labelled "cement works" on OS maps, and is likely to expand to several hundred entries, most of them inconsequential. I have decided not to include ready-mix plants in photo sites such as Geograph, mis-labelled "cement works" by the ill-informed and wikified.

Please contact me with any relevant information, suggestions, additions and corrections.

The following colour codes are used:

Probably Portland Possibly Portland Roman Cement Blue Lias Lime Other "Natural" Cements others

plant name place county grid reference notes
AbernantNeath HigherGlamorgan(SN)(2)8816(2)0633Iron & brick works, called from the 1890s Brick & Cement Works, disused by WWI. No evidence of PC equipment.
AccringtonAccringtonLancashire(SD)(3)7646(4)2864On Oswald Street, 1876. No evidence of PC.
Angel QuayHarwichEssex(TM)(6)2601(2)3284Roman cement in the 1830s. Thomas Wakefield. No PC made.
ArundelArundelWest Sussex(TQ)(5)0238(1)0671Roman cement 1830-1887. W. Atfield. Windmill. No PC made.
Ayres QuaySunderlandCo. Durham(NZ)(4)3880(5)5779Alternatively Wellington Works, on Wellington Lane, Deptford, owned by Matteson & Chapman, who also owned the longer-lived Deptford plant. Three kilns (say 70 t/week) made PC since there are ballast hills adjacent. Started 1874. Shut early 1890s. Rated at 100 t/week when sold along with Deptford in 1901.
BanksideSouthwarkLondon(TQ)(5)3216(1)8046Roman cement plant operated by Parker & Wyatt from 1799, mentioned by Francis. A P Thurston (1938) places it at Skin Market and Pond Yard.
BathsideHarwichEssex(TM)(6)2574(2)3212Roman cement in 1851-1855. Miall, Marshall & Co. No PC made.
BathurstBristolGloucestershire(ST)(3)5889(1)7210Near Bathurst Basin. Operated ~1860-1877 by Fulwood & Lancaster (1865) and by Lankford & Co (1871). Might have made PC: shut 1877.
BebingtonLower BebingtonCheshire(SJ)(3)3400(3)8425Owned by Godfrey J. Aman, originator of Afonwen. Made PC? Closed before 1890.
Belvedere Road, LambethLambethLondon?(TQ)(5)3067(1)7977William Atkinson made Roman cement from the 1820s. No PC made.
Berney ArmsWickhamptonNorfolk(TG)(6)4651(3)0498Initially Roman cement from 1828, PC from 1865: ceased 1880: gone by 1906. Windmill.
Bishop SaltingsGillinghamKent(TQ)(5)8106(1)7073Undocumented, appears on 1862 map but gone on 1896 and subsequent. Evidently PC since it had wash backs. 3 small kilns. Perhaps associated with construction of Fort Darnet adjacent, which was completed in 1871.
BlackwallPoplarLondon(TQ)(5)3947(1)8079James Warne Simpson made Roman cement from before 1822. No PC made.
BridgendBridgendGlamorgan(SS)(2)9087(1)7981Blue Lias lime works operated until WWII. Called a cement works by the BGS. 1/4/1907 newspaper article calls it South Wales Portland Cement Works, but no evidence of PC equipment.
BridlingtonBridlingtonEast Yorkshire(TA)(5)1777(4)6675Frost & Co, making Roman cement 1850s. 5 kilns. No PC made.
Britannia WharfSouthamptonHampshire(SU)(4)4304(1)1193Roman cement plant, perhaps pre-1820. Evidently later made PC since there were 5 small slurry backs. There were three 28 ton kilns. Originator not known, but later owned by Hooper & Ashby of Northam, 600 m to the northeast. Closed by 1897 map, but probably much earlier. Unlike Northam, the site had a rail link, and continued in existence as a Blue Circle depot through the 20th century.
Briton FerryBriton FerryGlamorgan(SS)(2)7343(1)9416The Hydraulic Portland Cement Co. Ltd. established 5/1892, wound up 11/1900. E. T. Ferrier launched this to make slag/lime cement. At this time the term "Portland" was frequently used fraudulently for slag cements - see Coltness.
BrousterlandEast KilbrideLanarkshire(NS)(2)6360(6)5475"Roman cement" from around 1830. No PC made.
Burgh CastleBurgh CastleEast Suffolk(TG)(6)4736(3)0436Roman cement from 1859, PC from 1872. 1866-1872 Union Cement & Brick Co. Ltd. Ceased in 1893 (said to have closed in 1912). 5 wet process bottle kilns (120 t/week) and 3 open kilns.
CalderglenEast KilbrideLanarkshire(NS)(2)6589(6)5453"Roman cement" from the 1830s. No PC made.
CalderwoodBlantyreLanarkshire(NS)(2)6645(6)5493William Maxwell made "Roman cement" from the 1830s. No PC made.
Caledonian RoadIslingtonLondon(TQ)(5)3068(1)8345Thornhill Wharf on the Regents Canal. Coles, Shadbolt made Roman cement from the 1840s. No PC made.
CamberwellCamberwellLondon?(TQ)(5)3251(1)7758Thomas & George Sturge made Roman cement from the 1830s. On the Surrey Canal? No PC made.
Cambridge StreetPlymouthDevon(SX)(2)4754(0)5465On 1856 map. Gone on 1894 map. Ownership? No PC made.
CantonCantonGlamorgan(ST)(3)1654(1)7616Roman? or Blue Lias? Ceased perhaps 1864, and became the Atlas Foundry.
CastlecaldwellRossbegCo. FermanaghI 60168604?Initially (1878) for selenitic cement under Redgrave.
CattedownPlymouthDevon(SX)(2)4903(0)5380Only limekilns in the limestone quarry 1857. Shown as cement works on maps 1894-1914. Operated by J & T Harvey? Operated by Caldwell & Almond in 1893. Importing Blue Lias from Lyme Regis. Probably natural cement/hydraulic lime.
CharltonShepton MalletSomerset(ST)(3)6281(1)4294Blue Lias lime works, called cement works by the BGS. No PC.
Church PassageRotherhitheLondon(TQ)(5)3513(1)7983William Aspdin's first London site. When up for sale 4/10/1849, it was said to be able to make 15 tons of cement a day, but had only one kiln. It had 50 HP of steam power, and three pairs of grinding stones. Used for Roman Cement - but maybe not Portland.
Church StreetSculcoatesEast Yorkshire(TA)(5)1021(4)3007? made Roman cement 1840s-1850s on Church Street. Five kilns.
ClydebankClydebankDunbartonshire(NS)(2)4987(6)6944Grinding plant - Clyde PC Co Ltd, a subsidiary of Tunnel. 1933-1968 grinding clinker from West Thurrock, Drogheda and Ribblesdale . No clinker made.
Charlton MackrellCharlton MackrellSomerset(ST)(3)5319(1)2895Marked as cement works, appears on 1929 map but not 1903. Owned by Barhams. Could be 2 Schneider kilns, but only a limestone quarry and no rawmills - so hydraulic lime?
Charmouth HarbourCharmouthDorset(SY)(3)6645(0)9304Only made Roman cement. No PC made.
CoaxdonChardstockDorset(ST)(3)3101(1)0047Dorset Blue Lias Lime & Cement Works. Began ?1890s: still operating 1917. Four small kilns - no PC equipment - making hydraulic lime, ground by water mill. No PC made.
College Street, IpswichSt Peters, IpswichEast Suffolk(TM)(6)1618(2)4405George Mason made Roman cement using septaria from Harwich and from the Orwell, prior to buying the Waldringfield plant in 1873.
Cowley PeacheyCowleyMiddlesex(TQ)(5)0540(1)8124Roman cement by W. D. Curzon 1885-1886. No PC made. On the Grand Junction Canal.
Dartford (Phoenix Weir)DartfordKent(TQ)(5)5441(1)7451Roman cement by Matthew Wilks 1830-1841. No PC made. Water mill.
Dove HolesChapel-en-le-FrithDerbyshire(SK)(4)0740(3)7837Founded to make PC by Henry Reid about 1874, shut down by 1890.
Eagle (Cambridge)CambridgeCambridgeshire(TL)(5)4643(2)5794Might have made natural cement: shut 1887. Bill of sale called it "Jas. Headley's Eagle Foundry, Engineering, Coprolite & Portland Cement Works".
Eagle (Canton)CantonGlamorgan(ST)?In Lower Grangetown. Probably Roman Cement. No PC. Could not find it.
Earle StreetHullEast Yorkshire(TA)(5)0866(4)2766G & T Earles original Roman cement plant commenced 1821. Sold 1866 when Earles relocated to Wilmington: site occupied by Neptune Street station. No PC made.
Evans & NicholsonManchesterLancashire(SJ)(3)8389(3)98391841 "Patent Lithic Cement" from chemical waste. Evidently a minor sideline of their drysalting business, and only of prominence because Pasley mentioned it as one of five good "water cements". This location, close to the Exchange, may only have been an office.
FishersgateSouthwickEast Sussex(TQ)(5)2559(1)0521Roman cement plant commenced ? Owner? Windmill. No PC made.
FolkestoneFolkestoneKent(TR)(6)2370(1)3694Made PC 1872-1891. Described here.
GallowgateGlasgowLanarkshire(NS)(2)6065(6)6467Borland & Steven, Market St. Making firebrick and "Roman cement": shown as brick works on the 1860 map. No PC made.
GorbalsGlasgowLanarkshire(NS)(2)5903(6)6449William McLintock, Kirk St (now Oxford St). One of several "Roman cement" works mentioned in 1852 Glasgow directory, but the only one shown on the 1860 map. No PC made.
Globe (Greenhithe)SwanscombeKent(TQ)(5)5856(1)7520Whiting plant established by John Cubitt Gostling in 1869 at a chalk exporting quarry. Subsequently owned from 1889 by the Globe Portland Cement and Whiting Co. Ltd, from 1899 by the New Globe Cement, Chalk and Whiting Co. Ltd, and from 1911 BPCM. Listed here only because various people have said, without any justification, that it made cement. There is no contemporary evidence for this at all.
Great YarmouthNorfolk(TG)?Mentioned by Francis: could not find it.
GreencastleGreencastleCo. Antrim(J)(3)3445(3)7952The Belfast Portland Cement Works Company. First in Ulster? In Ireland? 4.7 km north of the city centre, on the Northern Counties Railway, at Greencastle Station, and with a pier on Belfast Lough. White Limestone (chalk) was quarried and ground in Carnmoney townland to the northwest, but Thames chalk might also have been brought in. Started around 1868. Land sold Belfast News-Letter, 29/09/1881, p 1.
Greaves (Stockton)StocktonWarwickshire(SP)(4)4281(2)6470Greaves & Kirshaw "Blue Lias cement" 1840-1900. No PC made. As Greaves, Bull & Lakin, the Harbury plant was established and PC was made there.
GriffinsStocktonWarwickshire(SP)(4)4330(2)6490"Blue Lias cement" 1841-1910. No PC made.
GrosmontEskdalesideNorth Yorkshire(NZ)(4)828(5)050?Roman cement from 1813. No PC made. Water mill.
Hale CliffHaleLancashire(SJ)(3)4505(3)8200Only evidence its sale advertised in Nantwich Guardian 27/6/96 saying it was "formerly used as cement works". Shown as salt works on early map and stone works on later map. Two reservoirs could have been slurry backs. Two 15 ft kilns.
HalkinHolywell UrbanFlintshire(SJ)(3)1973(3)7580Owners? Made Roman cement from 1870s. No PC made.
Hammersmith Creek WharfHammersmithLondon(TQ)(5)2272(1)7842Creek Wharf. Millwood & Web made Roman cement 1855. No PC made.
Hammersmith Vestry WharfHammersmithLondon(TQ)(5)2319(1)7799Vestry Wharf. Perhaps Roman cement. Marked as lime & cement works on 1894 map but not 1874. No PC made.
HighfieldCoseleyStaffordshire(SO)(3)9493(2)9542 On the Birmingham Canal with own basin. 4 small kilns. No indication of PC equipment - probably made natural cement late 1840s, sold 1847. Appears as lime works on 1887 map.
HolywellGreenfieldFlintshire(SJ)(3)1866(3)7650Roman cement from 1884. No PC made.
HuskissonLiverpoolLancashire(SJ)(3)3342(3)9359At Huskisson dock, Everton. Appears as "cement works" on the 1864 map, and as "mortar works" on the 1891 map. 3 small kilns but no sign of PC equipment.
Hythe QuayColchesterEssex(TM)(6)0156(2)2464Roman cement: Francis Lewis in 1855, Cobb & Taylor in 1859. No PC made.
IsleworthIsleworthMiddlesex(TQ)(5)1660(1)7578William Ashby made Roman cement 1825-1870 - 3 kilns. Moved to East Greenwich to make PC. Water mill.
KeynshamKeynshamSomerset(ST)(3)6564(1)6791The Keynsham Blue Lias Lime and Cement Works operating in the 1850s and 1860s. Blue Lias lime and cement. No PC made. A water mill on the River Chew.
KnothillWetheralCumberland(NY)(3)4799(5)4998Knothill Plaster & Cement Works, owned by Joseph Robinson & Co., Ltd. Made gypsum-based products, including Keenes and Parian cements. No PC made.
LandportPortsmouthHampshire(SU)(4)6432(1)0041Roman cement? J C Stephenson, in PO directory and on 1867/74 maps. No PC.
LangloanCoatbridgeLanarkshire(NS)(2)7232(6)6439Langloan Iron Works was one of several in Scotland that invested in cement plant around 1910-1920. The iron works closed in 1919, and unlike Coltness, Gartsherrie and Wishaw, the cement plant died with it. Two rotary kilns, perhaps similar to Coltness Kiln 1. The Langloan Iron, Cement & Chemical Co. Ltd. was registered 14/11/1937 to restart the plant, but dissolved 11/10/1939. Never operated. The kilns may have gone to another plant - e.g. Wishaw.
Leigh-on-SeaEssex(TQ)?Roman cement plant mentioned by Francis and many others: could not find it.
LimehouseStepneyLondon(TQ)?Roman cement plant operated by Mornay & Co., mentioned by Francis: could not find it.
LingrowHinderwellNorth Yorkshire(NZ)(4)8094(5)1667aka Victoria Iron and Cement Works, primarily an iron ore mine, 1856-65, making Roman cement as a sideline.
LiswerryChristchurchMonmouthshire(ST)(3)3389(1)8766Presumably that referred to at Lady Hill by Francis p 216, saying it made "cement" from the early 1860s. The OS map calls it Aberthaw Lime Works, although nowhere near Aberthaw. Blue Lias lime and cement. Woodward (1892) said they made Portland cement. 1914: Kelly's says Lias lime: portland cement is offered, but also white lime, obviously bought in: John Davies & Co., since 1872.
LocksbrookWestonSomerset(ST)(3)7271(1)6496Cement & Blue Lias Lime Works: proprietor Elizabeth Fryer in directories 1889 and 1898. White and Blue Lias quarries. Three 11 ft kilns and two 8 ft kilns. Blue Lias lime and cement. No PC made.
Lockyers QuayPlymouthDevon(SX)(2)4867(0)5408Not on 1856 map. Shown on 1894 map as "concrete, cement & manure works". Ownership? Perhaps only a depot. No PC made.
LoftusLoftusNorth Yorkshire(NZ)(4)727(5)200?Roman cement from 1813. No PC made.
Madeley WoodMadeleyShropshire(SJ)(3)7003(3)0409Operated by the Madeley Wood Co, circa 1870-1914, probably made "Roman" cement: two kilns but no PC equipment. Water mill.
Maes-y-coedCaerwysFlintshire(SJ)(3)1281(3)7148Made PC using local "tufa". Closed before 1890. Water mill.
MaidstoneMaidstoneKent(TQ)(5)7596(1)5647Lime and Roman Cement plant. Three slurry backs and drying flats added during to 1850s. Two 13' kilns (17 tons). Thomas Poolly in 1855, then owned by Read and Sharp: sold in 1859 to William J Brand & sons. No references after 1860. No raw material on site: chalk from Jubilee Bank 5773015982?
Millbank WharfSouthamptonHampshire(SU)(4)4324(1)1233Roman cement plant, perhaps pre-1820. Evidently later made PC since there were 5 small slurry backs. Number of kilns? Originator not known, but later owned by Thomas Christopher Elliott. Adjacent to the Northam plant. Marked as cement works well into the 20th century, but probably ceased to manufacture before 1880.
Millwall (Cubitts Town)PoplarLondon(TQ)?Roman cement plant mentioned by Francis: could not find it.
Millwall (Winkleys Wharf)PoplarLondon(TQ)(5)3712(1)7887Roman cement from 1810, run by James Grellier until 1840, then by others. No PC made.
MonkwearmouthMonkwearmouthCo. Durham(NZ)(4)3912(5)5793Wearmouth Cement Co. - one or two kilns making PC using adjacent ballast hill: about 1880 to about 1890.
MorledgeDerbyDerbyshire(SK)(4)3554(3)3618Robert Brookhouse made "Roman cement" 1830s to 1870s. No PC made. Water mill.
MulgraveLytheNorth Yorkshire(NZ)(4)8613(5)1251William Atkinson commenced Roman cement manufacture in 1811, and the plant continued in operation until 1932 - the last producer of Roman cement. No PC made. Water mill.
Nant MillPrestatynFlintshire(SJ)(3)0733(3)8311Alternatively Prestatyn Cement Works. A water mill. Probably Roman cement. No PC made.
Nine Elms (London)BatterseaLondon(TQ)(5)3012(1)7790Francis made Roman cement 1810-1868, when the site was sold to the railway. They then moved to Cliffe.
Ordnance MillHarwichEssex(TM)(6)2614(2)3273Frost made Roman cement from 1818. Various others took over - William Allder, then Cleaver & Watson - until it closed in the late 1850s. No PC made.
Orwell MillsSt Peters, IpswichEast Suffolk(TM)(6)1678(2)4390Originally George Tovell, then George Farrow & Co 1860s, Harpham & Son to 1869. Mentioned as Roman and Portland cement manufacturers. No indication of PC equipment. Also said to have works at Bramford, Norwich and Gt Yarmouth. Chalk quarry at Bramford (612880,248170).
OuseburnNewcastle-upon-TyneNorthumberland(NZ)(4)2607(5)6500Portland Cement plant shown on the 1858 map but not 1896. William Aspdin was said to have entered partnership with William Jackson trading as Aspdin & Co in 1856 after his partnership with Ord became insolvent. The plant was said to be "in the Ouseburn district". The plant was only 1.1 km north of the Gateshead plant. The kiln bank was 64'×20' and so had three kilns, total 80 t/week. Ran perhaps for as little as one year.
PeakStaintondaleNorth Yorkshire(NZ)(4)9733(5)0217Roman cement from 1813. No PC made.
Pedlar's AcreLambethLondon(TQ)(5)3065(1)7977Roman cement plant operated by Parker & Wyatt from 1793-99, mentioned by Francis.
Pimlico (Elizabeth Bridge Wharf)WestminsterLondon(TQ)(5)2869(1)7869On the Grosvenor Canal. Samuel & Charles Cleaver: Roman cement from 1823. No PC made.
PrestatynPrestatynFlintshire(SJ)(3)0688(3)8336The Atlas Portland Cement Company commenced 1875, adjacent to the Prestatyn Alkali Works, perhaps using alkali waste. Probably only lasted a year or two.
RingsendDublinCo. DublinI 71757339?Eblana Cement and Plaster Manufacturing Company Ltd. No evidence that it made PC or functioned after 1894, although said to have operated in 1899. Sold in 1904.
Russell StreetPlymouthDevon(SX)(2)4766(0)5469Devon & Cornwall Cement Works. Roman cement made by John Frean & Co 1853, J & T Harvey 1861. Gone on 1894 map. No PC made.
RutherglenRutherglenLanarkshire(NS)(2)6071(6)6195Thomas McGhie & Co: marked Cement Works on OS: several kilns operating in 1898, but no evidence of PC equipment. Products include plaster and terra alba, and could be selenitic lime producer.
SalfordSalfordLancashire(SJ)(3)8353(3)9885On Gravel Lane and King Street. Patent cement works, owned Yates: sold 24/5/1849. No sign of PC equipment.
SandonLiverpoolLancashire(SJ)(3)3334(3)9301At Sandon dock, Everton. Appears as "cement works" on the 1864 map, and as "mortar mills" on the 1891 map. 2 small kilns but no sign of PC equipment.
SeacombePoulton cum SeacombeCheshire(SJ)(3)3199(3)9038From 1855 made PC using sugar refinery lime. Intermittent operation under variously: George Cantrell 1855: Mersey PC Co 1867: Seacombe PC Co 1875: Britannia London PC Co Ltd 1878: Widnes Alkali Co 1885. Under the latter regime, J. S. Rigby obtained his patent for "PC" from slag, before setting up at Ditton. Closed early 1890s.
SheernessSheernessKent(TQ)?Owned by the Navy Board, made Roman cement from 1810. No PC made.
Shoreham (town)New ShorehamWest Sussex(TQ)(5)2159(1)0499Clayton & Parker made Roman cement from the 1830s. No PC made.
ShotleyShotleyEast Suffolk(TM)(6)2349(2)3412Operated by Edward Gibbons 1874-1898 making Roman Cement using septaria dredged from the Stour.
SnatchwoodAbersychanMonmouthshire(SO)(3)2699(2)0297In operation in 1848. Water mill. Made "Roman cement". Probably ceased 1863.
StormyTythegston HigherGlamorgan(SS)(2)8530(1)8166Blue Lias lime works, called cement works by the BGS. Subsequently made white lime for the steel industry until recently. No PC.
StrandSwanseaGlamorgan(SS)(2)9497(1)9233Alternatively Argyle Cement Works. Probably Roman Cement to 1885. No PC.
StratfordWest HamEssex(TQ)?Roman cement plant operated by James Turner, mentioned by Francis: could not find it. There were a number of lime/soap/chemical works around Bow Bridge.
Strood DockFrindsbury IntraKent(TQ)(5)7432(1)6944Lark, Fletcher & Co (later Lark & White) made PC 1858-1879. Initially 5 small kilns (80 t/w) then around 1867 3 larger kilns (80 t/w). The mill building burned down in 1879 and was not rebuilt.
SunderlandSunderlandCo. Durham(NZ)(4)4070(5)5769Cohn & Co started making PC early 1860s and shut down around 1875. 4 kilns. Previously and subsequently a pottery.
Sutton RoadPlymouthDevon(SX)(2)4870(0)5420Shown on maps from 1857 to 1907. Owned by Rowe. No evidence of PC equipment or raw material - probably made Roman cement. No PC made.
Thomas'sSculcoatesEast Yorkshire(TA)(5)1024(4)2992William Thomas made Roman cement 1840s-1850s on Church Street.
Toll EndTiptonStaffordshire(SO)(3)9731(2)9309aka Leabrook, Parishes', Pottersbrook. On the Birmingham Canal with own basin. Hackett Street, Toll End. At least 8 small kilns. No indication of PC equipment - probably made natural cement. Appears only on 1887 map.
TotternhoeTotternhoeBedfordshire(SP)(4)9800(2)2244Called Lime & Cement Works in some directories - never on OS. No PC made.
Town Wharf, GraysGraysEssex(TQ)(5)6143(1)7742Marked as "cement factory" on a 1908 plan, but not on earlier or later maps. No indication of production equipment - may have been a depot operated by Goldsmiths.
UxbridgeUxbridgeMiddlesex(TQ)(5)0500(1)8322Roman cement plant operated by Hardy & Doughty, 1855.
Vauxhall (Liverpool)LiverpoolLancashire(SJ)(3)3429(3)9130In a soap and alkali production area. No sign of PC equipment.
Wakefield (Kirkgate)WakefieldWest Yorkshire(SE)(4)3378(4)2034Joseph Aspdin made his original product (non-PC) here from 1825 to 1838, when the site was acquired for the railway. The operation then relocated to the Pear Tree Close site (see below).
Wakefield (Pear Tree Close)WakefieldWest Yorkshire(SE)(4)3387(4)2032Joseph Aspdin & Son moved here from Kirkgate (see above) in 1838. William Aspdin managed the plant until his departure in 1841, and it may be that the principles of making "true" Portland cement were developed here. The railway absorbed this site in 1848 and the business was transferred to the Ings Road site.
WashfordOld CleeveSomerset(ST)(3)0476(1)4109Washford Manure Lime & Cement Works shown on 1888 & 1904 maps, but was already in operation in 1862. Blue Lias district. Lease included mineral rights on Blue Anchor beach. Water mill.
West DraytonYiewsleyMiddlesex(TQ)(5)0625(1)8023On the Otter Dock of the Grand Junction Canal and close to GWR West Drayton station. Not present in 1878; sold 1885; up for sale 1892. Had washmills, slurry pumps etc so possibly Portland. Had eight pairs of stones. No indication of raw materials - perhaps down the canal from Harefield, but probably never operated.
West HartlepoolWest HartlepoolCo. Durham(NZ)(4)5109(5)3337Casebourne made cement - perhaps both Roman and Portland cement - from 1862 to 1866, when the operation was re-located to the Cliff House site 2 km to the south.
WilmcoteAston CantlowWarwickshire(SP)(4)1666(2)5869Greaves & Kirshaw "Blue Lias cement" 1840-1900. No PC made. There were two others separately marked as cement works on the map, at 4161125870 and at 4158625906, but this site was on the canal. As Greaves, Bull & Lakin, the Harbury plant was established and PC was made there.
WoodbridgeWoodbridgeEast Suffolk(TM)(6)2780(2)4917Lockwood & Pulham made Roman cement and hydraulic lime 1822-1870. No PC made. Water mill and windmill.
YsceifiogYsceifiogFlintshire(SJ)(3)1533(3)7054Pre-dated the nearby Afonwen, commenced 1860s? Owners? Possibly made PC using local "tufa". Closed before 1895. Water mill.