Location:
- Grid reference: SU43411235
- x=443410
- y=112350
- 50°54'32"N; 1°22'57"W
- Civil Parish: Southampton, Hampshire
Clinker manufacture operational: 1864-1903
Approximate total clinker production: 180,000 tonnes
Raw materials: Chalk and Alluvium shipped in: source unknown, but probably one of the Portsdown quarries supplied Upper Chalk (Newhaven Chalk Formation: 82-85 Ma), and the alluvium may have been dredgings and marsh clay from the Southampton Water margins..
Ownership:
- 1864-1903 Hooper and Ashby
- 1903 Sussex Portland Cement Co. Ltd
It seems likely that Roman Cement had been made here from as early as 1812, using the local septaria: this plant is shown on early maps. The 1865 map shows a Portland cement plant complete with slurry backs adjacent to this, and advertising of Portland cement began in 1864. In addition to two lime kilns and a free-standing kiln on the quay (presumably for Roman cement), the map shows a washmill on the quay, a 70 ft long kiln bank backed by drying flats and a engine house. There were probably four medium-sized wet process bottle kilns, capacity 90 t/week. Another four small kilns (60 t/week) were installed before 1895. Also before 1895, the drying flats and slurry backs were removed and a pair of chamber kilns (60 t/week) was added. All transport was by water. The site became a depot for Shoreham and Newhaven after the SPCC takeover, served by rail using the LB&SC Southampton docks branch. The site is now part of a boat yard and marina.
Power supply
The raw- and finish-mills were directly driven by separate steam engines.
Rawmills
A washmill on the quay made thin slurry. A set of flat stones was added for the chamber kilns.
No rotary kilns were installed.
Sources:
- Primary Sources:
- Greenhithe Archive
- Southern Area archive
- Ordnance Survey 1:2500 mapping
- BGS mapping and monographs
- Confirmatory Sources:
- Francis, p 175