Clinker manufacture operational: 2/1870-3/1912
Approximate total clinker production: 510,000 tonnes
Sometimes called Tyne Works. The primary product of the company was emery grindstones, and cement was a sideline: it was not used as an ingredient in its process, the emery being set in a “metallic composition”. It started up with four wet process bottle kilns (120 t/week). This extended to ten (300 t/week) by 1881, after which seven of them were converted to chamber format around 1886. In 1888, a further six kilns were added, at which time the remaining bottle kilns were abandoned. A further two chamber kilns were added in 1899, and this must have continued to 1907, giving Davis’ capacity estimate of 450 t/week . The plant was shown in the 1910 directory, but not in that of 1916: it seems to have shut down with the BPCM takeover in 1912, and although it remained in place for many years, it never resumed activity.
No rotary kilns were installed.
Sources: Francis, p 227: takeover in e.g. Shields Daily News 25/3/1912 p 3.