- Grid reference: TM28484465
- 52°3'11"N; 1°19'57"E
- Clinker: Waldringfield, East Suffolk
Clinker manufacture operational: 1865-12/1907
Approximate total clinker production: 320,000 tonnes
- Upper Chalk from the Thames
- Alluvium, initially from the Medway, later dredged from the River Deben.
- 1865-1870 ?
- 1870-1873 Coles, Shadbolt and Co.
- 1873-1907 George Mason and Co.
This is the most easterly plant listed here. The local London Clay contains septaria and the site was initially developed to make Roman Cement. In addition to open kilns for Roman Cement, there were in 1870 four 13' bottle kilns (60 t/week), and by 1880 a second set of four 17' kilns (100 t/week) had been added. A third block of four 11' kilns (40 t/week) were added around 1898, and the plant remained in this form until closure, with capacity 200 t/week. Mason also made Roman cement, but perhaps not at this site. All transportation was by water. The plant closed in December 1907 and was replaced by Masons plant at Claydon, where local chalk was available. The site was cleared in 1912, and is now under housing. The quay is a small marina.
No rotary kilns were installed.
Sources: Francis, p 207: Masons Works: A Pictorial History, Blue Circle Industries plc, 1999.
© Dylan Moore 2011: commenced 13/01/2011: last edit 11/03/2017.
Return to plant list