Clinker manufacture operational: ?1871-1911
Approximate total clinker production: 430,000 tonnes
Ownership: Union Cement Co. Ltd
The plant was built on a previously-undeveloped land lot and reclaimed foreshore to the east of the Wallsend colliery wharfs. The plant began with four wet process bottle kilns, expanded to six (160 t/week) by 1888, at which time a block of eight chamber kilns (240 t/week) was added. This makes up Davis’ 1907 capacity of 400 t/week. It stopped due to the price war in 9/1908, and restarted 3/1909 at reduced output. It appears in directories up to 1910, but is absent in 1916. It probably stopped at the end of 1911 or early 1912. A re-start was rendered impossible by WWI. Unlike the other Tyne plants, it had substantial rail facilities, but undoubtedly used water predominantly. The site was cleared after closure and was absorbed into the adjacent shipbuilding sites.
No rotary kilns were installed.
Sources: Only attested in Davis’ 1907 list: mentioned (but not explicitly) by Francis, p 227: other information is from OS maps and from Ward’s Directory of Newcastle-on-Tyne, 1890 and 1898. The 1909 company report is referenced in the Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail 15/11/1909 p 4.