Cement Kilns

Standard

Location:

  • Grid reference: TL38334903
  • x=538330
  • y=249030
  • 52°7'20"N; 0°1'14"E
  • Civil Parish: Barrington, Cambridgeshire

Clinker manufacture operational: 1883-1906

Approximate total clinker production: 103,000 tonnes

Raw materials: Chalk Marl (West Melbury Marly Chalk Formation: 97-100 Ma) from pit at 538200,249200

Ownership:

  • 1883-1899 Natural Portland Cement Co.
  • 1899-1911 Standard Cement Co. Ltd
  • 1911 BPCM (Blue Circle)

Starting with one bottle kiln burning unground “cement rock”, it acquired two Dietzsch kilns (200 t/week) around 1892. It was reconstructed to burn ground and briquetted mix in 1899. It absorbed the closed Royston plant in 1904, and its own activities petered out by 1906. BPCM acquired the sites and cleared them. Only road transport was used, the nearest railway being Shepreth station, 1.2 km away. The site was returned to agriculture.

No rotary kilns were installed.


Sources: Francis, pp 208-209, 265: Jackson, pp 288, 299


© Dylan Moore 2011: last edit 26/11/2014.

Return to plant list


Old Maps

Approximate capacity: tonnes per year
Standard Capacity