Cement Kilns

Spinx

Location:

  • Grid reference: ST30433819
  • x=330430
  • y=138190
  • 51°8'19"N; 2°59'39"W
  • Civil Parish: Bridgwater Without, Somerset

Clinker manufacture operational: 1900-1942

Approximate total clinker production: 440,000 tonnes

Raw materials: Blue Lias Limestone (Blue Lias Formation: 190-200 Ma) from the Puriton quarries (see Dunball)

Ownership: John Board and Co.

Sometimes called Wylds Works: the Wylds is the river-bank district in which it was situated, and not an owner. The plant represented an expansion of Board's operation begun at Dunball. An initial four bottle kilns (1907 output 120 t/week ), expanded to ten (300 t/week). These appear to have been the last bottle kilns used for cement manufacture in Britain. The site was close to the river Parrett and may have used this for transport of materials from Puriton, but its sidings on the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway were its main transport link. The site is now part of the Wylds industrial estate, and little, if anything, remains.

No rotary kilns were installed.


Sources: Jackson, p 302


© Dylan Moore 2011: last edit 26/11/2014.

Return to plant list


Old Maps

Approximate capacity: tonnes per year
Spinx Capacity