Clinker manufacture operational: 1867-1915
Approximate total clinker production: 240,000 tonnes
The appearance of the plant coincides with the establishment of soda recovery at the adjacent paper plant. At the time of its sale in 1898, the plant had ten medium sized wet process bottle kilns (250 t/week). Davis’ 1907 capacity of 150 t/week indicates that six kilns were in commission by then. Probably its contraction began with the conversion of the paper plant to sulfite process. Like most of the other north-eastern plants, its dependence on coastal shipping brought about its demise during WWI. The plant had a rail link via an inclined tramway through the paper plant to the main line on the bluffs above the valley, but its transport was undoubtedly mainly by river. The site was cleared soon after closure. The paper plant closed in 1971, and the area is now a park, overgrown in the area of the cement plant buildings, with some building outlines and the kiln bank still visible.
No rotary kilns were installed.