Clinker manufacture operational: 6/8/1878-1880: 6/1890-12/1895
Approximate total clinker production: 25,000 tonnes
Otherwise called Bowesfield Works or Tees Bridge Works. The plant originally had two small bottle kilns, operated on the thin slurry process with four slurry backs. It was operated to supply cement for concrete products, as Mr Adams was "the owner of a valuable patent for making imitation marble chimney pieces". The plant had a nominal capacity of 35 t/week, but probably made little. The plant was acquired much later by William Coultas, who had previously worked at Warren, and three larger kilns were added, using the thick slurry process, bringing the capacity to 100 t/week. It seems that the plant closed in December 1895 when Coultas died. It was up for sale as scrap in 1896. The plant had a 300 m tramway to a wharf on the Tees, which was used for incoming chalk and outgoing cement. It was also connected by tramway to the adjacent Tees Bridge Iron Works, and may have used slag. In fact, the later plant may have made slag/lime cement rather than Portland. After closure, the plant site was rapidly buried under the iron works slag heaps. The site is now part of the Bowesfield Industrial Estate.
No rotary kilns were installed.
Sources: Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough, 8/8/1878, p 3: ibid, 25/11/1890, p 3.