Clinker manufacture operational: 1888-1915
Approximate total clinker production: 32,000 tonnes
Raw materials: Chalk Marl (West Melbury Marly Chalk Formation: 97-100 Ma) from pit at 547250,257700. The deposit consists of the bottom 6 m of the Chalk Marl, extending down into the Cambridge Greensand, which was worked for phosphate nodules.
The site also dug "coprolite". The plant started with one bottle kiln burning pre-dried unground “cement rock”, expanded to two in 1900. The output was 60 t/week in 1907 and finally perhaps 90 t/week. The plant also made hydraulic lime. There were eleven small kilns in 1904, of which perhaps five were in use for cement in 1907. The plant made only "natural cement" until its closure. The plant had no rail connection, and its minimal output was distributed by road within Cambridge. The site was redeveloped for light industrial buildings, recently unoccupied.
No rotary kilns were installed.