Cement Kilns

Meldreth

Location:

  • Grid reference: TL36524661
  • x=536520
  • y=246610
  • 52°6'4"N; 0°0'24"W
  • Civil Parish: Meldreth, Cambridgeshire

Clinker manufacture operational: 1888-1908

Approximate total clinker production: 33,000 tonnes

Raw materials: Chalk Marl (West Melbury Marly Chalk Formation: 97-100 Ma) from pit at 536500,246800

Ownership: Meldreth Portland Cement and Brick Co. Ltd

This had two bottle kilns burning unground “cement rock” obtained during digging of “coprolites” for fertilizer. It is unclear what material was used for brick making. Output 50 t/week in 1907 . The plant was joined to the Great Northern railway at Meldreth station by a tramway in 1901. The closed plant was on sale in 1911 with a claimed capacity of 350 t/week of lime and cement, but cement was never again made on site. There is some evidence that the plant may have been purchased in 1911 by Saxon, and thus became part of BPCM, but there is no evidence of this after WWI, or any suggestion that cement was made during that period. The 1903 map shows twelve small kilns, of which two must have been used for cement. The brick plant operated after WWII making asbestos cement board, and continues making fibre cement board as Marley Eternit.

No rotary kilns were installed.


Sources: Cook, p 42: Francis, pp 208-209


© Dylan Moore 2011: last edit 25/11/2014.

Return to plant list


Old Maps

Approximate capacity: tonnes per year
Meldreth Capacity