Cement Kilns

Linley

Location:

  • Grid reference: SK03970080
  • x=403970
  • y=300800
  • 52°36'18"N; 1°56'29"W
  • Civil Parish: Rushall, Staffordshire

Clinker manufacture operational: 1909-1935

Approximate total clinker production: 180,000 tonnes

Raw materials: Silurian Ludlow Limestone (Lower Quarried Limestone Member: 423-426 Ma), with inter-bedded shale: lime plant tailings and some drift mined? at 403700,300750

Ownership: East Anglian Cement Co. Ltd

This differed from the other Black Country plants in that it did not use an argillaceous “cement stone”: it was from the outset a proper Portland cement plant using a high-grade limestone. The mines of the long-established Winterley lime plant were adjacent, and the canal on which it stood was established for shipping of lime. The canal was used exclusively for transportation. There were two shaft (Schneider?) kilns (1st 1909, 2nd 1910), operated on the dry process: the capacity was probably 220 t/week. This was the last of the Black Country plants to operate. The site is now covered by an industrial estate: there are no visible remains.

No rotary kilns were installed:


Sources: Cook, p 97: Francis, p 219: Jackson, pp 220, 226, 279, 301


© Dylan Moore 2011: last edit 25/11/2014.

Return to plant list


Old Maps

Approximate capacity: tonnes per year
Linley Capacity