|The Lee's Brand used 1900-1911.|
Clinker manufacture operational: 1854-1915, 1918-1925
Approximate total clinker production: 2.2 million tonnes
The plant originally made white and grey lime, but commenced making Portland cement in 1854. By 1868, 10 wet process bottle kilns were in operation (300 t/week). Nine more (270 t/week) were built during 1872-1876, four more (120 t/week) during 1879-1882, and a further six (180 t/week) during 1886-1891 so the total capacity was 870 t/week in 1895, ~14 MJ/kg. In 1900, the plant was described as having two 28 ft washmills, 29 settling backs, 36,000 ft2 of drying flats, 29 cement kilns and 47 lime kilns. During 1899-1903 the plant was progressively converted to Schneider kiln production, with eleven kilns making 1750 t/week, 9.35 MJ/kg. A further kiln was added in 1908, bringing capacity to 1900 t/week in 1913. Its operations were combined with those of the adjacent Halling Manor after 1911. Capacity was 1600 t/week (10 kilns?) in 1924. The site had 250 m of wharf and two docks on the Medway, but also had a rail link from the inception of the Medway Valley line in 1856, thus enjoying flexible transportation throughout its life. The plant remained formally open until 1930, but does not seem to have produced after 1925. The site was cleared and is now mostly waste land in which a few insignificant remains are visible. The quarries are also waste.
No rotary kilns were installed.