Clinker manufacture operational: 1876-?1925
Approximate total clinker production: 490,000 tonnes
Alternatively called Cameron Swan Works. There was a salt boiling plant on the site previously, and on the landward side was a major ballast hill. The plant started with three small wet process bottle kilns (50 t/week) and two larger kilns were installed in 1881 raising capacity to 110 t/week. A block of six chamber kilns was added in 1888, and a further one added in 1898, giving a chamber kiln capacity of 210 t/week. The plant was one of a few in the area that experimented with the use of slag in the early 1900s. Davis’ 1907 capacity of 300 t/week indicates that the bottle kilns were still in use at that time, but they were discarded when the rotary kiln was installed. The chamber kilns performed only top-up duties until 1914. As with Gateshead, its economics were undermined by WWI changes in coal transportation, but as the only Tyneside plant to install a rotary kiln, it survived slightly longer than the others. It had no rail, but had road communication with the towns of the south bank; however, transport was undoubtedly primarily by water. The site was rapidly cleared after closure, but remained largely as waste land. A CEMEX aggregate plant on the site to the west is now extending over it.
One rotary kiln was installed:
Supplier: Ernest Newell
Location: hot end 433767,565863: cold end 433768,565827: hot end enclosed.
Dimensions: 120'0” × 7’4½” (metric 36.58 × 2.248)
Rotation (viewed from firing end): clockwise
Slope: 1/25 (2.292°)
Kiln profile: 0×2248: 36576×2248: Tyres at 2134, 8230, 15850, 24232, 32614.
Cooler: rotary beneath kiln 50’0” × 3’5” (metric 15.24 × 1.029)
Cooler profile: ?
Coal Mill: ?
Typical Output: 51 t/d
Typical Heat Consumption: 9.5 MJ/kg