Cement Kilns

Hebburn

Location:

  • Grid reference: NZ3019065145
  • x=430190
  • y=565145
  • 54°58'48"N; 1°31'42"W
  • Civil Parish: Hebburn, County Durham

Clinker manufacture operational: ?1870-?1915

Approximate total clinker production: 300,000 tonnes

Raw materials:

  • Initially its adjacent ballast hill, then Thames Chalk Ballast
  • Probably Tyne Alluvium

Ownership: Walter Scott Ltd

The plant was sited at Hebburn Quay where there was a good wharf and a long-established ballast hill. The plant started with three wet process bottle kilns (67 t/week). Kilns were gradually added until there were nine (200 t/week) in 1894, at which time they were converted to chamber format. No further capacity was added, which accords with Davis’ 1907 capacity of 200 t/week . Like most of the other north-eastern plants, its dependence on coastal shipping brought about its demise during WWI. During 1916, it was buying clinker from Barton, and making PBFC. It ceased trading early in 1918 and was immediately dismantled. The site was soon cleared and is now part of an industrial estate.

No rotary kilns were installed.


Sources: Francis, p 227


© Dylan Moore 2011: last edit 11/02/16.

Return to plant list


Old Maps

Approximate capacity: tonnes per year
Hebburn Capacity