Clinker manufacture operational: 1895-1903
Approximate total clinker production: 4000 tonnes
Raw materials: Chalk Marl (West Melbury Marly Chalk Formation: 97-100 Ma) from pit at 543800,252800
Ownership: Edward C. Colchester
This was a small plant with a single bottle kiln burning un-ground marl from a slot-mine primarily worked for "coprolite"; probable output 25 t/week of a very marginal product. Colchester was a fertiliser merchant working the local coprolites on land leased from Jesus College. Brick, and subsequently cement manufacture were sidelines attempted after the fall in price of phosphates in the 1890s. The lack of any obvious transportation links is a moot point, since the product of this absurd plant could probably be distributed in a wheelbarrow. The area, with the exception of the flooded quarry, has been returned to agriculture.
No rotary kilns were installed.
Sources: The Hauxton Fossil Diggings, Bernard O'Connor, lulu.com, 2011, ISBN 1470915278: otherwise attested only by map and directories