Cement Kilns

Faversham

Hilton LogoPre-1900 Hilton Brand.

Location:

  • Grid reference: TR01696176
  • x=601690
  • y=161760
  • 51°19'9"N; 0°53'40"E
  • Civil Parish: Faversham Within, Kent

Clinker manufacture operational: 1852-1902

Approximate total clinker production: 340,000 tonnes

Raw materials:

  • Upper Chalk (Seaford Chalk Formation: 85-88 Ma) from pit at 601850,160600 (Preston Within, Kent) and vicinity, brought in by tramway: also Middle Chalk (Holywell Nodular Chalk Formation: 92-94 Ma) by barge from Halling Manor
  • Swale Alluvial Clay

Ownership:

  • 1816-1849 Samuel Sheppard
  • 1849-1864 Hilton and Co.
  • 1864-1893 Hilton, Anderson and Co.
  • 1893-1900 Hilton, Anderson, Brooks and Co. Ltd
  • 1900-1902 APCM (Blue Circle)

As with Elmley, this was primarily a Roman Cement plant. It was established in 1816 by Samuel Sheppard and used septaria from the Isle of Sheppey and the Essex coast. Hilton began Portland manufacture soon after taking over when Johnson’s activities at Crown (Frindsbury) became evident. By 1890 there were nine kilns, of which perhaps seven wet process bottle kilns (210 t/week) were used for Portland cement. The plant was connected to the London/Dover railway by the Faversham docks branch, but water transport was almost exclusively used. With efficient kilns at Halling Manor from 1900, and no significant reserves here, there was no reason to keep the plant running. After closure, as a town centre location, the site was immediately redeveloped, and is now under housing. The quarry is under light industry and housing.

No rotary kilns were installed:


Sources: Eve, p 29: Francis, pp 197-198: Preston, p 69


© Dylan Moore 2011: last edit 24/11/2014.

Return to plant list


Old Maps

Approximate capacity: tonnes per year
Faversham Capacity