Clinker manufacture operational: ?1872-?1909
Approximate total clinker production: 117,000 tonnes
Otherwise called Wear Works (but not to be confused with North Hylton, sometimes called Wear Works). The plant was built on a site that was previously a shipyard, next to a glass works that was already using the local ballast. The original venture also owned the adjacent gas works, and the nearby Ayres Quay (or Wellington) cement plant. Four dry process bottle kilns are marked on the 1896 map, and this corresponds with Davis' 1907 capacity of 100 t/week, although when put up for sale in 1901 along with the Ayres Quay works, it was rated at 200 t/week. The plant was driven out of business by price-cutting. Transport was entirely by water. The site is now waste land.
No rotary kilns were installed.
Sources: Francis, p 227