- Grid reference: SZ6132287308
- 50°40'56"N; 1°7'55"W
- Civil Parish: Brading, Isle of Wight
Clinker manufacture operational: 1884-1904, 1912-1915
Approximate total clinker production: 21,000 tonnes
- Eocene Bembridge Limestone (Bembridge Limestone Formation: 34-36 Ma) and Oligocene Bembridge Marl (Bouldnor Formation: 32-34 Ma): quarry at 461200,87300
- Lower Chalk (94-100 Ma): quarry at 460200,86500
- Upper Chalk (Culver, Newhaven, Seaford and Lewes Formations: 80-90 Ma): quarry at 460300,86800
A lime plant seems to have been established on the now-silted Brading Quay in the 1860s, perhaps using chalk from Portsdown. There were three small lime kilns yielding around 25 t/week of lime. Evidently around 1884 attempts began at making Portland cement, using chalk marl. The nearest source of this was along the south side of the chalk outcrop west of Brading, brought in by rail, and the plant’s activities petered out (twice) amid acrimony about freight rates for this. There seems to be some confusion about later history: a Brading cement company persisted until after WWII, but this was just a selling organisation, associated with BPCM, of which the Brading plant was never a part. The size of the quarries indicates that the plant made no more than 15,000 t of clinker during its life. Capacity, when running, was perhaps 20 t/week using two of the lime kilns, or 40 t/week using all three. The plant was on the Bembridge branch of the IOW Railway and this must have been used for most transportation. Subsequently, the site was used as a concrete products plant, finally closing in the 1960s. After closure, the plant site was abandoned, and slight ruins, including the base of the kilns, remained until recently, but are now built over. The quarries are overgrown.
No rotary kilns were installed.
Sources: Jackson, p 273
© Dylan Moore 2011: last edit 22/11/14.
Return to plant list