Clinker manufacture operational: 1852-1901: 1919-1921
Approximate total clinker production: 580,000 tonnes
Sometimes called Booth’s Works. Six bottle kilns (150 t/week) were in use in 1869, extended to eight before 1880. In 1880, six chamber kilns (160 t/week) were installed. Additional 30 t/week chamber kilns were installed: two in 1888, three in 1893 and three in 1898. In 1899, three Schneider kilns were added, set up to burn surplus dried slurry. The bottle kilns were decommissioned by then. This left capacity at 400 t/week from chamber kilns and 240 t/week from Schneider kilns. The plant was promptly closed at the APCM takeover, but the chamber kilns were revived in 1920, still rated at 400 t/week. Booth’s acquired the Cuxton plant on the opposite bank in the 1890s. The plant primarily used water transportation, but could also ferry product over the river to the Cuxton site, from which it could be despatched by rail. After closure, the site was cleared and remained waste until recently when it was developed for housing. The quarry is partially waste and partly under housing.
No rotary kilns were installed.