Clinker manufacture operational: 9/1905-1933
Approximate total clinker production: 540,000 tonnes
This was a good example of a early private venture entry into the industry using off-the-peg rotary kiln technology. Cook gives an account of its early fortunes in her appendix. Joseph Hall went with Maxted and several others to America in July 1903 to view kiln technology. The plant was only the third in Britain to be designed with exclusively rotary kilns . The kilns were obtained from Polysius with the consultancy of Maxted and Knott, and the project was essentially identical to those launched at Wilmington and Stoneferry at the same time. The plant was built at the Beddington clay field rather than the Coulsdon chalk quarry because the landlord of the latter refused permission. The LB&SC railway passed both the quarry and the plant, and this was used for all transportation. Before its purchase by BPCM, its relatively poor performance and profitability was typical of such new entrants. The plant closed during at least part of WWI, and re-opened in ?March 1919. From 1929 to 1933, white clinker was made, this function continuing at Swanscombe after closure. The site remained active for the production of cement-based paints until the 1980s. The quarry has been filled with light industry.
Two rotary kilns were installed:
Kiln A2Location: hot end 529907,166936: cold end 529906,166966: entirely enclosed.
Identical in all other respects to A1
Sources: Cook, pp 42-43, 126-130: Francis, p 265: Jackson, pp 214, 272: Pugh, p 51: A Century and a Quarter, C. G. Dobson, Hall and Co. Ltd, 1951: A New Industry in Surrey, Hall and Co. Ltd, October 1905
© Dylan Moore 2011: commenced 07/08/2011: last edit 23/02/2017.
Approximate capacity: tonnes per year